Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Message from Simon

Well, the second class is over, as is our first attempt at working with the textbook. I know some of you have mixed feelings about working with the textbook but we are stuck with it and perhaps need to think positively about working with it.

Looking through it, I think you will find that a lot of the material covered will be of some use. While some of the material will appear to many of you as unnecessary and even a little bit insulting given your level of English - for example, today's treatment of ESL Learner's Dictionaries - some material will be new to most of you.

In addition, I think a lot of material that will be covered - even if you know it - is worth being revisited. For example, the value of 'mind-mapping' and 'free-writing' for good writing - both of which were dealt with in class today - can never be stressed enough [i.e. it is always worth mentioning them]. Anyway, we will see how things go.

I will start posting some of the material related today's class over the next couple of hours so, if this is the latest message you have available to you, remember to check back later to see if any more postings have appeared. Also remember to check out the 'Simon's English Room' blog [there is a link in the column to the right]. Remember also to phone or email me if you are having any trouble downloading the material. As I mentioned in class today, I am fairly new to blogging and so you should expect the odd hic-up [ie. problem]. Bare with me and, as I also mentioned today, if you have any suggestions about how the blog could be improved or have knowledge of blogging resources I am not using, please let me know.

For now, be good and happy,

catch you on Thursday,

Simon

No comments: