Saturday, March 22, 2008

Message From Simon Peripheral 'Scientific Writing' Genres &Student Author Blurbs

1. As mentioned in class this week, while in your major work for this semester, you can write an present a piece of scientific writing in the form the term is often narrowly defined - that is, as a piece of writing documenting research for a peer reviewed scientific journal - it will also be possible for you to write and present a piece of writing that falls within genres on the edge of scientific writing such as 'the literature review', 'the patent application', and 'the research proposal'.

Each of these peripheral science writing genres have distinct aims and objects as well as conventions and over the next week or so, I will try and provide on this blog example and brief introductions to some of these genres and suggestions as to where you can find further information on both how to write them and issues related to their construction.

2. I will also be putting up over the next couple of days the student / author blurbs. I'll do some minor editing to make sure that there is some consistency between them but I'd really like you to critique them yourselves. If you'd like to make some general comments on the blurbs - on what works or does not work for you, you can leave them i the comments section at the bottom of this posting.

[the picture of me was taken in Singapore in 1991 on my way home from a year in India. I look so thin becuase I was recovering from having caught hepatitus while doing research in some of the slums in Bombay].

messsim

No comments: